Saturday, November 21, 2009

I Don't Want to Grow Up


A few days ago I was in my old college town under unfortunate circumstances. A great friend of mine's father passed away unexpectedly. Although I only had passing conversations with him, I have heard numerous stories... and also have the pleasure of knowing his oldest daughter. I knew it would be important to her to have as much support as she could, so I got off work and stayed with one of our mutual friends, Brittany.

The night before the services Brittany was awake working on a paper, she had warned me about the schoolwork so I brought along a book I've been reading, The Bolter. In the background the show America's Funniest Home Videos was playing. Neither of us paid much attention to it until a preschool graduation was taking place. There was a stage, and children were announcing what they'd like to be when they grow up. One little boy decided that the best answer was "he didn't ever want to grow up." It was cute, but I was also convinced that he was a child prodigy. I turned to Brit and told her that he was undoubtedly the smartest child in the class.

If you were to ask anyone close to me I am starting to freak out about my next step in life. This stress is very out of character for me, as I'm used to allowing things to fall into place at the last minute. Until then I've taken up a second restaurant job and signed up for Roadtrip Nation. State Farm sponsors a road trip for students and young adults like me that need some time to figure their lives out. I think it's an amazing idea and I wish I had been the one to think of it. You are given a grant and/or an r.v to travel and interview important people that you look up to how they got to where they are. The details can be found at www.roadtripnation.com

No comments:

Post a Comment