Tuesday, December 15, 2009

C o m m i t t e d

“Marriage is not a game for the young,” the author says. “There’s a huge amount of sacrifice and compromise involved. If I could say four words to anyone under 25 who’s considering getting married, they’d be: "Wake up, slow down."
Divorce rates have risen since women have been given rights and proved themselves independent and successful. Whereas in the past women stayed married because they were dependent or men were too busy working to worry about a wife's affair or other problems.
As a young girl, I wasn't the one watching disney fairy tales or wedding my Barbie and Ken dolls. I was riding horses, building forts, and sewing clothes for my animals, but I was also telling my mom my future husband would be a cowboy.
I've only been in love once. I want to grow from that experience and have time to digest it. I don't want to repeat patterns or carry baggage. I believe that there are multiple soul mates and different levels of love that exist. I think too many people settle into marriage because of timing, children, finances, or simply geography. I hope I don't fall into that category. I can't wait to read this book because it is built for marriage skeptics and I while I gladly welcome a solid relationship, I fall into the target market wary of forever unions...

No comments:

Post a Comment